28 April 2011

Last night was one of the craziest nights in quite a while.  My great friend Melissa was flying down to Tennessee to help me pack and move and go on another road trip up to the north.  However, when we bought the tickets over a month ago we didn’t know it would be during one of the worst storms in history: Tornadoes Ravage South.

The craziness began at work where we had a “stay in place” drill around 4pm because of a tornado spotting.  That only lasted about half hour to forty minutes and I left pretty swiftly afterwards with the weather looking fine.  Her flight got delayed an hour once it reached Charlotte but we weren’t too worried.  I was home skyping with Rich for a while until it reached 8pm and I decided I should venture to the airport, not thinking too much of the weather even though it was thunder-storming.   I was going down i-40 and it was horrendous.  It looked like I was driving into hell and was going to die any minute.  Then it started hailing golf balls and so I pulled over under an overpass and waited it out.  Finally half of an hour later (since I had to drive at 30mph) I reached the Starbucks by the airport.  I figured a hot drink would be better than waiting in the airport and when I walked in people looked at me as if I was insane.  “Welcome to the club” is what I was greeted with.  I ordered a tea and the barista began asking me why I was braving the storm and I explained that my friend was visiting and so I had to be here.  She asked me if I realized a tornado had just passed through and another one was coming in fifteen minutes (that explains the hail).  She handed me my drink and the depression sank in when I realized that this night was going to be a lot more than quickly picking up Melis.

Then I was trapped in the Starbucks for three hours.  We had to hide in the back with the barista giving everyone weather updates.  The others that were stuck had been there for a while and were very confused as to why I appeared in the middle of the storm.  “You just though coffee would go good with a tornado?” is what I was asked.  Then it started hailing baseballs and we had to stay in the back some more.  It was pitch black outside except for the lightning that was continually striking.  A tornado hit the airport and broke the radar, soo clearly Melissa was not going to reach Knoxville.  I was hoping they never took off.

My night was spent trapped in Starbucks and then I found out that Melis flew from Charlotte to Knoxville, until they realized the radar was shot and couldn’t land, so they flew back to Charlotte. Once she was back there she told me they were going to try again to fly out, so I waited a while before going to the airport when I thought she would land.  Again, they flew to Knoxville, decided they couldn’t land, and flew back to Charlotte.  Finally, she said she would find a hotel so I went home.  Then United decided they wouldn’t be able to everyone hotel rooms so once again, they flew to Knoxville. By the time I got back to my house I had an hour before I went back and finally got my friend from the airport.  And that was our night.

1 comment: